Do you think watching video lessons is useful?
Video 
[Image: streaming-video-icon.jpg]

Sometimes it's very common for us not to understand an entire subject as soon as it's explained to us. The reasons may be diverse: lack of attention or because the teacher's explanation is not being clear enough (without proper didactics), just to name a few examples.

Considering those problems, it's normal that many people end up using technology and decide to watch video lessons (channels with specific content on certain subjects, on Youtube for example) so that the subject is 100% understood. Do you use this option? Is it useful to you?

I think the attempt is very valid (and often helps), but the "face-to-face" interaction for me is still the best way to explain and understand the things appropriately.  Cool
I do value video lessons. In my university i used this method a lot. Whenever i could not understand the teacher's explanation due to several factors (Poor explanation or maybe there were too many students trying to talk to the teacher) i turned to YouTube. In fact i can say for sure that i only passed some tests due to You tube lessons. Nowadays students have access to lots of sources of information and it is much easier to study and do well. You tube and Google are just two examples of that.
I find it very useful, I find that it's easier for me to understand something through a video or image. I've read somewhere that the human mind finds it easier to process images/videos rather than just texts (this is why sometimes we know we've seen/met someone before, but we often couldn't remember their name). But if I had the option to have an actual live teacher, I would choose that any day rather than a pre-recorded video that's already available for the masses.
I totally agree. Learning from good youtubers and other platforms like udemy, lynda etc. where video tutorials and guides are available is a blessing now and I feel we are lucky to have these, whenever I don't understand a topic, I go to youtube or google and find tons to tuts explaining the topic, hence making it very easy for us to learn and comprehend the topic of interest.
Wink 
Yes, it's very useful. 
Some teachers often don't know how to teach - they are either young or they just don't want to put effort in teaching. I remember one profesor whose lessons were awful - he sat and read from his papers and students were supposed to write everything down and learn it. Little lack of attention got you nowhere and he didn't allow students to ask questions because he didn't want to repeat himself [Image: shocked.png]
That is when I started to search for some video lessons online, I really couldn't keep track with that profesor. Good thing about video lessons is that they are always available and you can repeat it many times if you want to without anyone yelling at you  [Image: wink.png]
Fortunately, I found all I needed and some extra info that got me good grade. 
Profesor was surprised how well he taught me [Image: biggrin.png]
It largely depends on the type of video and the technique used by the person providing the lesson.

Even though it's a tool that is much more accessible to us whenever we might need it, I don't think it's that different from old-fashioned classes. I'll explain myself; both in normal classes and video lessons the technique and style of the professor/facilitator is largely influential. A boring, lackluster, less-than-average facilitator will turn an incredibly useful weapon like online classes into a snore fest that will only make you lose your time.

Likewise, we must be careful when picking videos, because the internet is easily accessible for everyone, even so-called professors that lack basic understanding of the topic they are explaining and will only confuse us even further.
(06-22-2017, 08:51 AM)RoseBloom Wrote: It largely depends on the type of video and the technique used by the person providing the lesson.

Even though it's a tool that is much more accessible to us whenever we might need it, I don't think it's that different from old-fashioned classes. I'll explain myself; both in normal classes and video lessons the technique and style of the professor/facilitator is largely influential. A boring, lackluster, less-than-average facilitator will turn an incredibly useful weapon like online classes into a snore fest that will only make you lose your time.

Likewise, we must be careful when picking videos, because the internet is easily accessible for everyone, even so-called professors that lack basic understanding of the topic they are explaining and will only confuse us even further.
The type of video and the technique used by the person are obviously two very interesting aspects to be observed before entering into this facilitating world. Everything can be just an illusion (usually when you watch a lot of videos and don't end up learning anything new) and a waste of time.
(06-20-2017, 06:42 PM)poisongirl Wrote: Yes, it's very useful. 
Some teachers often don't know how to teach - they are either young or they just don't want to put effort in teaching. I remember one profesor whose lessons were awful - he sat and read from his papers and students were supposed to write everything down and learn it. Little lack of attention got you nowhere and he didn't allow students to ask questions because he didn't want to repeat himself [Image: shocked.png]
That is when I started to search for some video lessons online, I really couldn't keep track with that profesor. Good thing about video lessons is that they are always available and you can repeat it many times if you want to without anyone yelling at you  [Image: wink.png]
Fortunately, I found all I needed and some extra info that got me good grade. 
Profesor was surprised how well he taught me [Image: biggrin.png]
Precisely that! Unfortunately a good professor to the university is not always good to his students too. I had many like those and had to learn through other means. On the other hand Youtube lessons for example are usually good content because youtubers try hard to get more followers.
I think YouTube lessons are incredibly useful for math and subjects related to it. However, though, they often are not enough. In that case, direct tutoring is needed by either the teacher or tutors at the school. For instance, I had a calculus-based probability and statistics class and finding videos for it was a nightmare.